By Laura Rice TOLEDO24
Monday, May 03, 2010 at 8:23 p.m.
WOOD COUNTY, OH — A Wood County man facing foreclosure has boarded himself up in his home along with five others.
They are refusing to leave, despite a court order, and they say they will be there until Wood County Sheriff’s Officers drag them out.
Protestors are gathered outside Keith Sadler’s home of 20 years in rural Wood County trying to bring public attention to what they say is unfair action by banks and trying to keep the sheriff’s department from kicking him out.
“So far they have not come. Probably because of the strong public presence that has been so basically we can call this a victory for the day and hopefully we can carry that through tomorrow and the rest of the foreclosure,” said Lance Crandall, Toledo Foreclosure Defense League.
But the real action is going on inside, where Sadler and five others are locked up with supplies with no plans to leave.
NBC24 spoke with Sadler over an internet connection.
“They’re going to have to drag us out. We’re not going to willingly walk out,” said Sadler.
Sadler emphasizes that this is a peaceful protest and that they do not have any weapons.
He says he is doing this for himself.
“Because it’s my home,” said Sadler.
But also for all the others that could not keep up with house payments. Sadler was off work after a hand injury.
“I cut all the avenues that I could before that to try to make payments, to try to keep as close to on time as I could and of course it was getting impossible,” said Sadler.
What Sadler wants now is a moratorium on foreclosures. But, in talks with Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn, that is not happening.
“(The Sheriff is) basically refusing to do that, saying it’s his duty to uphold the law of the courts even though the laws are immoral and unjust,” said Sadler.
NBC24 spoke with Sheriff Wasylyshyn who said it is Sadler who has broken his word.
Wasylyshyn met with him weeks ago to discuss an eviction plan and he says Sadler agreed to leave peacefully.
Wasylyshyn says sheriff’s deputies will remove the protestors from the property but he would not say when. He says his top priority is keeping his officers safe.