UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
MONIQUE SYKES et al.,
- against -
MEL HARRIS AND ASSOCIATES, LLC,
APPEARANCES: (See last page)
CHIN, Circuit Judge
In this case, four plaintiffs allege that a debt-buying
company, a law firm, a process service company, and others
engaged in a scheme to fraudulently obtain default judgments
against them and more than 100,000 other consumers in state
court. Defendants allegedly acted in concert to defraud these
consumers in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
(the “FDCPA”), 15 U.S.C. § 1692 ~, the Racketeer Influenced
and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”), 18 U.S.C. § 1961 et~,
New York General Business Law (IIGBL”) § 349 1 and New York
Judiciary Law § 487. Plaintiffs seek injunctive relief,
declaratory relief, and damages on behalf of themselves and other
similarly situated individuals. They move for class
The motion is granted. The record before the Court
establishes that defendants obtained tens of thousands of default
judgments in consumer debt actions, based on thousands of
affidavits attesting to the merits of the action that were
generated en masse by sophisticated computer programs and signed
by a law firm employee who did not read the vast majority of them
and claimed to, but apparently did not, have personal knowledge
of the facts to which he was attesting. The record also shows
that on hundreds of occasions the defendant process servers
purported to serve process at two or more locations at the same
time. As discussed more fully below, defendants’ unitary course
of conduct purportedly to obtain default judgments in a
fraudulent manner presents common questions of law and fact that
can be resolved most efficiently on a class-wide basis.
- NY Judge Gives Green Light On RICO Class Action Against Law Firm in ‘Sewer Service’ Case SIKES v. MEL HARRIS & ASSOCIATES UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK MONIQUE...
- Class Action Certification Granted In Illinois for FDCPA Violations: Codilis & Associates I have a feeling this is going to be the...
- MA Court Certifies ECOA, FHA Class Action Against H&R BLOCK, OPTION ONE CECIL BARRETT, JR., et al. v. H&R BLOCK, INC., OPTION...
- U.S. Bank Natl. Assoc. v Murillo | NYSC Judge Winslow Vacates Judgment “Sewer Service, No Process Records = Null & Void Service” SUPREME COURT – STATE OF NEW YORK U.S. BANK NATIONAL...
- NJDC denies foreclosure law firm’s motion for a gag order silencing homeowners’ counsel in proposed RICO class action against Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg and Wells Fargo IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF...