Catherine Cortez Masto, Attorney General
555 E. Washington Avenue, Suite 3900
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
Telephone – (702) 486-3420
Fax – (702) 486-3283
Web – http://ag.state.nv.us
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: September 29, 2011
Contact: Jennifer López
ATTORNEY GENERAL CORTEZ MASTO AND ASSEMBLY MAJORITY LEADER
CONKLIN ANNOUNCE NEW ‘FORECLOSURE FRAUD REFORM’ BILL TO TAKE
EFFECT OCTOBER 1
Las Vegas, NV – Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto and Nevada Assembly Majority
Leader Marcus Conklin announced that the new ‘Foreclosure Fraud Reform’ law will take effect on
October 1, 2011.
“This new law helps protect Nevadans from improper foreclosures and protects the integrity of the
system for homeowners,” said Cortez Masto. “I was pleased to work with Majority Leader Conklin on
this important bill that creates security, legitimacy, and transparency in the foreclosure process.
Assembly Bill 284 will protect the Silver State’s housing market by ensuring homeowners and
prospective purchasers can get a clean chain of title and are treated more fairly.”
“There have been widespread instances of foreclosures based on false, improper or incomplete
documents throughout the nation over the past few years,” Conklin said. “This new law is part of our
ongoing commitment to prevent foreclosure fraud in our state and to ensure that the Attorney General
has the tools necessary to prosecute those who defraud homeowners.”
The bill gives Nevada residents access to information on the companies that hold their mortgages by
requiring the documents used in the foreclosure process to be recorded in the county where the
property is located. Additionally, the legislation requires a party seeking to foreclose in Nevada to
record a notarized Affidavit of Authority to Foreclose that includes information showing that the party
seeking to foreclose on the property has the legal right to exercise the power of sale. AB 284 also
strengthens the Attorney General’s enforcement authority over foreclosure fraud, and gives property
owners a new right of action to enforce their own legal rights in foreclosures.
© 2010-13 FORECLOSURE FRAUD | by DinSFLA. All rights reserved.
- Nevada AG puts Bank of America on notice over Foreclosure Fraud Vegas Inc Call it Nevada’s version of David versus Goliath....
- Nevada Joins States Balking at Bank Releases in Foreclosure Practices Deal Bloomberg- A possible settlement of a 50-state probe of foreclosure...
- Nevada AG Masto opposes provision of settlement with big banks If your AG isn’t opposing the Foreclosure Fraud settlement, there’s...
- GA Foreclosure Fraud Bill Passes Out of House Committee HB 237, introduced by Representative Rich Golick, would prohibit misstatements...
- NEVADA ATTORNEY GENERAL SUES BANK OF AMERICA FOR DECEIVING NEVADA HOMEOWNERS Las Vegas: Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto announced today that...